6 September 2009 to 7 March 2010
From 6 September 2009 to 7 March 2010, as part of its exhibition series “Constellations,” the Städel Museum dedicated four rooms to a pointed juxtaposition of selected works from its collection of post-1945 art, installing a path of contemporary art that ran through the building from the Riverside Gallery on the second floor, across the central Rotunda, to the first hall of the garden wing and the adjoining Cabinet on the first floor. Consisting of nearly 40 works, the comprehensive show employed different presentation forms to shed light on the Städel’s diverse and multi-faceted holdings. Works by Pablo Picasso, Francis Bacon, or Alberto Giacometti acquired over the decades merged with more recent but equally valuable acquisitions, donations, and permanent loans by Victor Vasarely, Josef Albers, Gerhard Hoehme, and other works.
CURATOR: Martin Engler, Städel Museum