2 October to 9 November 2008
With this presentation, the Städel Museum granted its visitors a preview of the six hundred works from the Deutsche Bank Collection placed at the museum’s permanent disposal on the occasion of the grand opening of the extension in 2011. This selection represented a significant enhancement to the Städel’s collection in the area of post-1945 art.
Of the altogether 60 paintings and sculptures, 161 originals on paper and 379 prints, a number of particularly outstanding examples were shown, including works by Georg Baselitz, Hanne Darboven, Rainer Fetting, Günter Förg, Jörg Immendorff, Anselm Kiefer, Martin Kippenberger, Gerhard Richter and Rosemarie Trockel. The first presentation of the Deutsche Bank Collection at the Städel Museum adhered to the “Petersburg hanging” style: the works were hung closely side by side according to a certain system. By association, the show delineated a superb panorama of German post-war art in which important approaches to painting and graphic arts joined in a dialogue of reciprocal reinforcement and elucidation.
CURATORS: Dr. Martin Engler and Dr. Jutta Schütt, Städel Museum