The historical archive of the Städel Museum brings together more than 150 years of museum and collection history. It encompasses the records of the Städelsches Kunstinstitut established by the businessman Johann Friedrich Städel in 1815 and the art school affiliated with the museum until 1922.
These nearly complete holdings also comprise the records of the Städtische Galerie that became part of the Städel in 1906 as well as the Liebieghaus Skulpturensammlung. Over the years, the museum archive has expanded to include the partial estates of a small number of artists (including letters of Victor Müller and the papers of the sculptor Hans Mettel). In May 2019, the archive received the generous donation of the extensive legacy left behind by the artist Ottilie W. Roederstein and her biographer Hermann Jughenn.
The Städel Archive is located in the museum library and is open to scholars with a legitimate research interest.