Architecture as Light and Reflection
In the Städel Garden II
From the summer of 2013 to the spring of 2014, within the framework of the presentation “Adolf Luther: Architecture as Light and Reflection”, the Städel Museum showed major large-scale installations of the 1970s and ’80s by the light artist Adolf Luther (1912–1990) in the museum garden. A contemporary of the ZERO Group of Düsseldorf, Luther worked with light as object and reflection, as well as with space and movement. With their visual ephemerality, the minimalistic, interactive objects and installations on display in the Städel Garden changed the viewer’s perception of the world around him. Altogether four large installations entitled “Integrations” were presented on the museum grounds. Luther conceived of his “Integrations” as the consummation of the surrounding architecture. One of the installations, on view in the front section of the Städel Garden, was a suspension bridge made of mobile concave mirrors ("Integration Suspension Bridge", 1979). Another one of the works, employing spherical mirrors, was mounted on the exterior wall of the exhibition annex in the rear section of the grounds, near the roof of the Garden Halls – “Integration Wall Lenses” of 1986, which has meanwhile become a permanent addition to the Städel’s contemporary art collection.
Image: Adolf Luther, Städel Museum, Frankfurt am Main, © VG Bild-Kunst, Bonn 2021
CURATOR: Dr. Martin Engler, Städel Museum
SPONSORED BY: Städel Gartengesellschaft with additional support from the Adolf-Luther-Stiftung in Krefeld